(There is pretty healthy, but there is a healthier version at the bottom)
- 1 Red, Orange, & Yellow Pepper (Diced)
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper (Diced)
- 1 Medium Onion (Diced)
- 3 Tablespoons Oil (Choice)
- 2 Cans Diced Chiles
- 1 Can of Ro-Tel Lime & Cilantro Diced Tomatoes
(Like this brand because of the flavor)
- Substitute Ro-Tel with 3 tomatoes diced (add lime juice from 2 limes, 1 tablespoon of diced cilantro and one 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- 2 Cans of Refried Beans
- 1-2 Cup(s) Of Cheese (Choice)
- 12 Tortilla Shells
- 1 Pound Lean Ground Turkey (Seasoning Choice)
- Or 1 Pound Shredded Pork Shoulder (see below)
- In a medium pan I heat 3 tablespoons olive oil, add jalapeno and onion until fragrant.
- I then add all three peppers, cook until tender. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix 2 Cans Diced Chiles with the 2 cans of Refried Beans
- Brown 1 Pound Ground Turkey, add seasoning (McCormick’s Taco Seasoning Works). Once complete add 1 Can Ro-Tel Tomatoes and simmer.
- Combine Meat & Tomato Mix with Peppers in a bowl and mix.
Prepare For The Oven
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Take a 9X11 Glass Dish, spray generously with your choice of non-stick.
- Line the base of the dish with 6 tortillas (overlapping). Spread the refried bean and chile mix evenly across the all 6. You will do this twice. Make sure you leave enough for the second layer.
(This may be difficult for some, the tortilla’s like to slide. Now I actually spread the mix on each individual tortilla then layer them overlapping. Works perfectly!)
- Then spread a nice layer of the meat and pepper mix.
- Cover layer in your favorite cheese. I actually use 1 cup of a mexican four cheese blend.
- Then add another layer of 6 overlapping tortilla shells, again cover in the bean and chilli mix. Add the remainder of the meat and pepper mix and an additional layer of cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Remove, and cool for 10 before cutting.
Alternative Meat Option
- Of course you can use any meat. However we really like to use shredded pork shoulder. We marinate the shoulder with Frontera Al Pastor Marinade for 24 hours.
- Then we cook the shoulder in the slow cooker, for 4-5 hours until tender and able to shred. It is YUMMY!
If you sub low fat/low sodium refried beans, and use a low-fat cheese, you can really cut the calories. We tried this and used a quarter cup on each layer, and it still tasted really good. How healthy was it?
Well, cut the lasagna into 6 slices. Each one was 256.6 calories.