- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin, toasted and ground
- 3 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans (or 1 1/2 cups cooked beans, from 1/2 cup dry)
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (~1/2 lime)
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat and oil large sauce pan, add onion and jalapeno peppers. Cook until tender.
- Add garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant
- Add all remain ingredients except (Lime and Cilantro), bring to boil then simmer until quinoa is tender (about 10-15 minutes).
Special Note: Raw chicken can be added in the above step, removed, cube and/or shredded once cooked, and returned with the lime and cilantro before serving. HOWEVER in my experience this has caused the chicken to be very dry. This is often a result of the core temperature of the meat getting to hot.
Recommendation: Either brine and add your chicken or cook your chicken separately, then add to the soup before serving.